We are often called upon by members of the business community to undertake the defense of a broad range of governmental white collar criminal investigations and prosecutions. We have represented Fortune 100 companies and their executives, as well as individual entrepreneurs, in the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Western, and Eastern Districts of Texas and in numerous other federal district courts nationwide.
Experienced White Collar Criminal Defense Attorneys
We recognize that the consequences of a criminal investigation go far beyond the possibility of monetary fines or incarceration. As a result, through extensive preparation and aggressive advocacy, our white collar defense attorneys attempt to satisfy investigative inquiries, avoid indictments, and reduce the chances of adverse publicity. However, should an indictment be unavoidable, we have considerable experience in obtaining acquittals in trials and negotiating favorable pleas and sentences on behalf of our clients.
We also conduct internal investigations for corporate clients and design compliance programs in order to detect and expose criminal conduct by employees within business organizations and thereby warrant leniency for the corporate client under the U.S. Federal Sentencing Guidelines.
In addition to white collar criminal cases, our attorneys have extensive experience defending individuals and entities in civil and administrative litigation involving the government, such as alleged regulatory violations and quasi-criminal matters. These cases include False Claims Act and qui tam (whistleblower) suits as well as governmental agency attempts to impose harsh civil or regulatory sanctions related to the matters listed below.
Our attorneys have successfully resolved criminal or related regulatory or administrative cases in the following areas:
- Tax Fraud - Federal and state matters including income tax and estate tax cases;
- Health Care Fraud - Medicare and Medicaid compliance, kickbacks and Stark, billing, false certifications and insurance fraud;
- Banking and Financial Fraud - Money laundering, embezzlement, currency reporting violations, bankruptcy fraud, pension fund fraud, and antitrust violations;
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act - Corporate bribery and/or other corrupt practices to obtain domestic or foreign business as well as related failures to maintain accurate corporate books and records;
- Environmental Fraud - Civil and criminal litigation brought by either state or federal environmental agencies for property contamination, contamination of natural resources, and violations of laws and regulations including the Clean Water Act, TNRCC, CERCLA, Solid Waste Disposal Act, and Clean Air Act;
- Securities Fraud - Violations of securities laws and regulations resulting from investigations involving the Securities Exchange Commission, the Commodities Futures Trade Commission and other governmental agencies;
- Government Contracting - Submission of allegedly false claims; and
- Other Financial Crimes - Violations of Mail Fraud, Wire Fraud, racketeering under RICO, Obstruction of Justice, and federal conspiracy charges.
For a representative listing of the types of white collar and regulatory defense matters that we have handled, please click here.