Prior to joining the firm and beginning his LL.M. in Taxation at New York University, he was the General Counsel for SEG Management, LLC in Dallas, where he led negotiations and drafted lease agreements for commercial real estate in the healthcare space. Prior to that, he was an Associate with THEVOZ Attorneys, PLLC, in Austin where he advised clients on international tax issues including FBARs, streamlined compliance, voluntary disclosure procedures, and expatriation.
After graduating law school in 2017, Gabriel was employed as an Honors Hire in the Small Business/Self-Employed Division of the IRS, Office of the Chief Counsel in Austin where he worked as an attorney for over three years. While with Chief Counsel, he litigated various cases before the Tax Court on issues ranging from unreported income and disallowed deductions to penalties and additions to taxes. Gabriel drafted memorandums advising Revenue Agents and Revenue Officers on estate and gift tax matters, income tax issues, and collection matters—including foreclosures and seizures. In addition, Gabriel managed and coordinated two separate bankruptcy cases with over $150 million in assets with the Department of Justice Tax Division. Notable court opinions include: Frost v. Commissioner, 154 T.C. No. 2 and Weschenfelder v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2019-133.
Mr. Nuñez-Lafontaine was admitted to practice in Texas in 2017 and is fluent in Spanish.
- New York University School of Law, LL.M. Taxation, 2022
- Recipient of the Wilf Tax Scholarship, 2021-2022
- University of Colorado School of Law, J.D., 2017
- Tax Emphasis, 2017
- Certificate in Entrepreneurial Law, 2017
- Entrepreneurial Law Clinic, Student Attorney, 2016-2017
- University of Colorado Law Review, Associate Editor, 2016-2017 and Member, 2015-2016
- Recipient of the George Bermant Award for Best Student Work in Corporate Law, 2017
- Josef Korbel School of International Studies, University of Denver, M.A., 2014
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., 2012
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- State Bar of Texas, 2017
- United States Tax Court, 2017