Alex J. Pilawski
Mr. Pilawski practices in the areas of State Tax Controversy and Litigation, State Tax Planning, and Commercial Litigation.
Mr. Pilawski's State Tax Controversy and Litigation practice focuses on representing taxpayers in disputes with the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts involving sales and use tax, mixed beverage tax, and franchise tax, among others. He has extensive experience working with taxpayers to successfully resolve disputes in contested proceedings through administrative hearings and in Texas state court. He also assist taxpayers in remedying noncompliance with Texas taxes, including guiding them through the Texas Comptroller’s Voluntary Disclosure program.
His State Tax Planning practice involves assisting taxpayers in structuring their business and transactions to minimize exposure to franchise tax.
His Commercial Litigation practice involves representing individuals and entities in both state and federal court in a variety of controversies including complex business disputes, securities, and health care, among others.
Mr. Pilawski is also active in the Tax section of the State Bar of Texas. He recently completed the State Bar of Texas Tax Section Leadership Academy and was the co-chair of the planning committee for the Advance Tax Law Course.
Mr. Pilawski was admitted to practice in Texas in 2010.
- J.D., cum laude, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 2010
- B.S., Management and Accounting, Purdue University, 2007
Bar and Court Admissions
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Member, Tax Section
- Co-Chair, Advanced Tax Law Seminar
- Graduate Member, State Bar of Texas Tax Section Leadership Academy, 2016-2017
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Wichita Falls Chapter/TSCPA CPE, Wichita Falls – 5/25/17
- Lorman Education Services Webinar – 4/30/18