Paul M. Budd
Mr. Budd practices in the areas of Income Tax Litigation, Income Tax and Business Planning, White Collar and Government Regulatory Litigation, Estate and Gift Tax Litigation, and State Tax Planning and Litigation. He represents individuals, estates, partnerships, closely-held businesses, and large corporations in all stages of a tax dispute, including IRS examinations, administrative appeals, and litigation in U.S. Tax Court, Federal District Court, and the Court of Federal Claims. His practice includes all aspects of business tax planning, such as entity formation, restructuring of ownership interests in entities, acquisitions, and dispositions. Mr. Budd's practice also concentrates on resolving white collar criminal investigations and representing taxpayers in disputes with the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts and other state tax agencies. Mr. Budd served as a Judicial Extern for the Honorable Judge Sally Pokorny of the Douglas County District Court in Lawrence, Kansas.
Mr. Budd was admitted to practice in Texas in 2017 and in Missouri in 2015.
- Judicial Extern, Honorable Sally Pokorny, Douglas County District Court, Lawrence, Kansas.
- LL.M. in Taxation, New York University School of Law, 2016
- J.D., University of Kansas School of Law, 2015
- Kansas Law Review, Managing Editor
- Published Comment, "All Work and No Pay: Establishing the Standard for When Legal, Unpaid Internships Become Illegal, Unpaid Labor," 63 U. Kan. L. Rev. 451 (2015)
- Robert E. Edmonds Prize in Corporate and Securities Law
- Certificate in Business and Commercial Law
- Transactional Law Meet, Awarded Best Draft for Seller's Asset Purchase Agreement at the 2015 Chicago Regional
- CALI Awards (top course grade): Mergers and Acquisitions, Intellectual Property, Criminal Law
- Student Tutor, Secured Transactions
- Oliver H. Hughes Memorial Scholarship Recipient
- Master of Business Administration, University of Kansas, 2015
- B.A., Political Science, University of Minnesota-Duluth, 2010
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dallas Bar Association
- Tax Section
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- State Bar of Missouri
- "Due Diligence Requirements for Tax Return Preparers, Part 1", Today's CPA, Jan./Feb. 2018, Volume 45, Number 4.
- "IRS Criminal Investigation's 2016 Annual Report on Illegal Tax Source Crimes", Journal of Tax Practice and Procedure, April-May 2017.