Michael A. Villa, Jr.
Mr. Villa’s practice concentrates on resolving federal tax controversies and white collar crime such as securities, tax and bank fraud. He represents individuals, closely-held businesses, and large corporations in IRS audits, appeals, and litigation. Mr. Villa represents individuals and entities in business disputes and lawsuits involving fraud, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, deceptive trade practices act violations, non-compete violations, business torts, and other commercial disputes.
In 2010-2013, Mr. Villa was named a Texas Rising Star, and in 2013-2014 he was named a Texas Super Lawyer as listed in Texas Monthly and Texas Super Lawyer Magazine, and on the web at superlawyers.com.
Prior to joining the firm in 2007, he worked in Washington, D.C. as a Congressional intern to U.S. Senator John Breaux (Retired) and worked as an Associate with a regional law firm in New Orleans, Louisiana. In 2004-2005, he served as a Judicial Clerk to the Honorable James J. Brady, U.S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana.
Mr. Villa was admitted to practice in Louisiana in 2004 and in Texas in 2005.
- LL.M. in Taxation, New York University School of Law, 2007
- J.D. and Bachelor of Civil Law, Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center, 2004
- B.A., Louisiana State University, 2000
- State Bar of Texas
- Louisiana State Bar
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Subcommittee Chair, Tax Section Civil & Criminal Penalties Committee
- State Bar of Texas
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
Honors and Awards
- Texas Super Lawyers-Tax as listed in Texas Super Lawyers Magazine and Texas Monthly, 2014
- Texas Rising Stars, as published in Texas Monthly and in Texas Super Lawyers - Rising Stars Edition and on the web at superlawyers.com, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2014
- Member/Officer, L.S.U. Law Center Moot Court Board
- Recipient, L.S.U. Law Center Class of 1931 Hebert Memorial Scholarship
- Recipient, L.S.U. Law Center Gene Hearn Memorial Scholarship
- Recognized, L.S.U. Law Center Chancellor's List
- "IRS Criminal Investigation Current Initiatives Update", Penalties Column, Journal of Tax Practice and Procedures, June-July 2014.
- "The Alphabet Soup of Treasury: What in the World are BSA/AML Exams and Who are the Examiners?", BarTabs published by the Collin County Bar Association, May 2012
- "Recent Trends in IRS Enforcement Activity & Specialized IRS Agents", BarTabs published by the Collin County Bar Association, March 2012
- State Bar of Texas Tax Section Leadership Academy, Dallas – 1/15/15
- Society of Louisiana CPAs' Tax Conference, New Orleans, LA – 12/19/14
- Society of Louisiana CPAs' Tax Summit, Shreveport, LA – 12/8/14
- American Bar Association Section of Taxation Webinar, Dallas – 4/23/14
- Dallas Bar Association Tax Section, Dallas – 4/7/14
- ABA Section of Taxation 2014 Midyear Meeting, Phoenix, AZ – 1/23 - 1/25/14
- North Texas Chapter of American Association of Attorney-Certified Public Accountants (AAA-CPA) Meeting, Dallas – 11/21/13
- ABA Section of Taxation and Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law, Trust & Estate Division, 2013 Joint Fall CLE Meeting, San Francisco, CA – 9/21/13
- State Bar of Texas Advanced Tax Law Course, Houston, DC – 8/16/13
- ABA Section of Taxation 2013 Meeting, Washington, DC – 5/11/13
- ABA Section of Taxation 2013 Midyear Meeting, Orlando, FL – 1/26/13
- Louisiana Society of CPAs Tax Conference, New Orleans, LA – 12/13 - 12/14/12
- 14th Annual Meadows Collier Taxation Conference, Dallas – 10/30/12
- Tax Law 101 sponsored by the State Bar of Texas, Dallas - 8/15/12
- American Bar Association Section of Taxation May Meeting, Washington, DC - 5/11/12
- ABA Section of Taxation and Trust & Estate Division of Real Property Trust & Estate Law 2011 Joint Fall CLE Meeting, Denver, CO - 10/22/11
- Dallas CPA Society's Continuing Education Day Conference, Dallas - 5/26/11
- 2011 ABA Tax Section May Meeting, Washington, DC - 5/6/11 - 5/7/11
- 2011 ABA Tax Section Mid-Year Meeting, Boca Raton, FL - 1/20/11 - 1/21/11
- 2010 12th Annual Meadows Collier Taxation Conference, Dallas - 10/26/10
- 2009 Society of Louisiana CPAs' Tax Conference, New Orleans, LA - 12/14/09