Stephen A. Beck
Mr. Beck is a Board Certified tax attorney who provides Federal income tax and Texas franchise and sales tax advice to businesses of all types and sizes, including Subchapter C corporations, Subchapter S corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies, and entities disregarded for Federal income tax purposes. He advises on tax issues arising during all phases of business operations, including formation, restructuring of ownership interests, acquisitions, dispositions, mergers, consolidations, liquidations, international transactions, issuance of deferred and equity compensation, and business succession planning. He represents businesses and entrepreneurs in a broad range of industries, including professional services, manufacturing, technology, oil and gas, and real estate. He also advises tax-exempt organizations under Section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code.
Mr. Beck also represents individuals, businesses, and estates in tax related controversy matters, including Internal Revenue Service audits, appeals, and litigation in Federal courts, including the U.S. Tax Court and Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. He also represents taxpayers in franchise and sales tax disputes with the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.
Mr. Beck is Board Certified in Tax Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He has served as an adjunct law professor at the Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, where he taught Corporate Income Taxation. He has also served as the Chairperson of the Dallas Bar Association’s Peer Assistance Committee and Co-Chair of the Texas Bar Tax Section Partnership and Real Estate Committee. Mr. Beck was admitted to practice in Texas in 1998 and the District of Columbia in 2000.
- Advised on Federal income tax effects and negotiated terms of $65 million sale of manufacturing company.
- Advised on Federal income tax effects of receipt of $23 million of proceeds from the transfer and infringement of patent rights.
- Prepared appellate briefs for case in U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals involving donee interest liability for unpaid gift tax resulting in refund to client of approximately $75 million.
- Advised U.S. person on the ownership structure of interests in foreign entities conducting oil and gas exploration and development in Africa.
- Advised large law firm in connection with the Federal income tax effects of modifying the terms of its debt obligations to retired partners and third party lenders.
- Advised on tax-free “split-offs” under I.R.C. § 355 of S corporations owning and operating restaurant franchises and commercial rental properties.
- Advised service and technology companies in connection with implementing nonqualified deferred compensation plans, including share appreciation right and phantom unit arrangements.
- Advised executives on Federal income tax effects and negotiated terms of nonqualified deferred compensation benefits.
- Provided a Federal tax opinion on the sale of personal goodwill for a business founder/owner in the technology sector.
- Provided a Federal tax opinion on the timing of the closing of a sale of S corporation stock in for a shareholder in the insurance industry.
- Advised on Federal income tax effects, negotiated terms and prepared transaction documents in connection with sale of an air charter business.
- Advised on Federal income tax effects of theft losses, including losses endured in connection with Ponzi schemes.
- Prepared Buy-Sell Agreement for attorney partners of a limited liability partnership.
- Negotiated terms and prepared transaction documents in connection with attorney’s and architect’s withdrawal from their respective partnerships.
- Negotiated settlement of IRS matter involving $18 million of disputed charitable contribution deductions and $6 million of disputed worthless stock deductions.
- Assisted in representing prominent law firm in defending the propriety of Federal tax opinions, which were examined by the trustee in a nationally publicized bankruptcy as well as the Joint Committee on Taxation.
- Negotiated settlement of IRS examination resulting in savings of approximately $2.5 million for U.S. Congressional candidate.
- Assisted in successfully defending client who was facing a prison term and multi-million dollar fines in connection with Internal Revenue Service criminal investigation.
- Prepared employment and independent contractor agreements and advised on the Federal income tax effects of particular worker arrangements.
- Advised on Federal income tax consequences of proposed tax-free like-kind exchanges of real property.
- Prepared organizational documents and tax-exempt status applications for several non-profit corporations.
- LL.M. in Taxation, Georgetown University School of Law, 2000
- J.D., University of Texas School of Law, with honors, 1998
- B.B.A., University of Texas, with high honors, 1995
- State Bar of Texas
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- U.S. v. Marshall, 798 F.3d 296, 315-21 (5th Cir. 2015) (Majority Opinion by Judge Owen)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Member, Tax Section
- State Bar of Texas
- Vice Chair, Partnerships and Real Estate Committee of the Tax Section
- Member, Tax Section
- Dallas Bar Association
- Former Chairman and Active Member, Peer Assistance Committee
- Member, Tax Section
- Dedman School of Law, Southern Methodist University, Adjunct Law Professor, Corporate Income Taxation, Spring 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2013
- Co-Author, "The New Partnership Audit Rules—Turning the Taxation of Partnerships Upside Down," Petroleum Accounting and Financial Management Journal, Summer 2016.
- "Income Tax Acetaminophen – How Recent IRS Guidance Can Alleviate the Pain Caused by Madoff and Other Ponzi Schemes", Today's CPA, September/October 2009
Speaking Engagements 2017
- Tax Law in a Day, State Bar of Texas, Tax Section, "Partnership Tax Law Basics and Current Developments", Dallas – 2/3/17
- Panhandle Chapter/TSCPA Tax Institute, "Partnership Tax Current Developments", Amarillo – 8/23/17
Speaking Engagements 2016
- Dallas Bar Association Health Law Section, "Federal Income Taxation of the Health Care Industry: How Health Law Attorneys can Assist Their Clients in Minimizing Their Income Tax Liability While Avoiding Problems with the IRS", Dallas – 8/17/16
- 18th Annual Meadows Collier Taxation Conference, Dallas – 10/25/16
- 2016 TSCPA CPE Expo, Houston, "Let's Make a Deal: Federal Income Tax Planning Opportunities and Pitfalls Relating to Purchases and Sales of Businesses" – 12/1/16
- 2016 TSCPA CPE Expo, "Let's Make a Deal: Federal Income Tax Planning Opportunities and Pitfalls Relating to Purchases and Sales of Businesses" – 12/5/16
- 2016 TSCPA CPE Expo, San Antonio, "Let's Make a Deal: Federal Income Tax Planning Opportunities and Pitfalls Relating to Purchases and Sales of Businesses" – 12/8/16
Speaking Engagements 2015
- 17th Annual Meadows Collier Taxation Conference, "Crossing the Border: How Clients Can Arrange Their International Businesses and Investments to Plan for U.S. Income Tax", Dallas – 11/3/15
- Panhandle Chapter/TSCPA 2015 31st Annual Tax Institute, , "Let's Make a Deal: Federal Income Tax Issues in Purchasing and Selling Businesses, Including Stepped-Up Basis", Amarillo – 8/26/15
Speaking Engagements 2014
- Society of Louisiana CPAs' Tax Conference, "Let's Make a Deal: Federal Income Tax Issues in Purchasing and Selling Businesses, Including Stepped-Up Basis" , New Orleans, LA – 12/19/14
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, "S Corporations Including S Corporations Set Up as LLCs", Dallas – 10/29/14
- 16th Annual Meadows Collier Taxation Conference, "Go On, Take the Money and Run! How to Make Sure Your Clients Maximize Their After-Tax Proceeds from Selling Their Businesses", Dallas – 10-28-14
- West Texas Women CPAs, "Let's Make a Deal: Federal and Texas Tax Issues Involved in Purchasing and Selling Businesses", Lubbock – 5/29/14
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, "Tax Considerations in Becoming a Partner in a Law Firm" , Dallas – 3/12/14
- Midland-Odessa Business and Estate Council, "Federal and State Tax Considerations for the Sale or Acquisition of a Business in a Rebounding Economy", Midland – 1/14/14